John Hendron is an education leader with expertise in instructional technology.
I currently reside in the metro-Richmond area of Virginia and am employed as an instructional technologist. Above all else, I value creativity and look for creative solutions to problems. I am also an enthusiast of early music, and sometimes write critical reviews of music recordings and concerts. I am author of the well-received 2008 book published by the ISTE press: RSS for Educators: Blogs, Newsfeeds, Podcasts and Wikis in the Classroom. I am a pioneer in the use of blogs and podcasts in K-12 education.
I attended Avon Lake High School—Ohio (1992), the University of Rochester—New York (1996), Case Western Reserve University—Cleveland, Ohio (1999), Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University—Blacksburg, Virginia (2005), and Virgina Commonwealth University—Richmond, Virginia (2014). In addition to my experience in the field of education, I have experience in photography, graphic design, music composition and performance, and web design.
- CPED Dissertation in Practice of the Year Award
- Along with my colleagues Angie Kim, Shawnya Tolliver, and Derrick Deloatch, we won the one of the best Ed.D. dissertations from the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate program in 2014
- Top Ten Digital School Districts 2014
- Our district was recognized by the Center for Digital Education and National School Board Association as the 7th best district in the U.S. with fullest implementation of technology benchmarks in the category of small districts (3,000 students or less)
- ISTE Making IT Happen Award
- December, 2012 - Recognized at the annual conference of the Virginia Society for Technology in Education
- Converge Magazine 50 Most Innovative Educators
- December, 2012 - Recognized by The Center for Digital Education as one of the most 50 innovative educators due to my accomplishments in the field of education technology
- Senator Mark Warner (VA) congratulated me on this distinction
- RichTech Education Finalist
- December, 2012 - Finalist for RichTech's education award in the field of technology
- RichTech is a professional organization that recognizes excellence in the field of information technology across businesses in the Richmond, Virginia area
- VSTE Board of Directors
- I served as a director on the VSTE Board from July, 2008-June, 2013.
- From July, 2012-June, 2013 I served as vice-chairman of the board.
- Virginia Tech School of Education Excellence in Education Award
- 2007 recipient for the Goochland Blogging Initiative
- Virginia Department of Education State Technology Leadership Award
- December, 2006 I received the Virginia DOE's highest recognition for leadership in technology both in Region 1 and statewide
My experience in the field of education has included teaching high school, the professional development and training of teachers, strategic planning (including creating technology plans, and helping to create a district strategic plan), video editing and video streaming, web design, use of online content management systems (WordPress, Expression Engine, Plone), graphic design, grant writing, and instructional leadership.
My job duties have obviously gone beyond the label of “instructional technology,” and I currently serve on my district’s leadership team, instructional leadership team, technology team, and public relations committee. My current role also involves generating a district tactical plan and reporting biannually on this plan to the school board.
My experience also includes virtual education, having designed and taught both professional and undergraduate courses through both Blackboard and Moodle. I also manage a Google Apps for Education domain, using both CloudLock and Hapara Teacher Dashboard.
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership (Virginia Commonwealth University, May, 2014)
- Capstone Dissertation: Ubiquitous Computing in Schools: A Multi-Case Study of 1:1 Districts
- Capstone Advisor: Dr. Charol Shakeshaft
- M.A. in Instructional Technology (Virginia Tech, December, 2005)
- Study in instructional design, adult learners
- M.A. in Music Education (Case Western Reserve University, 1999)
- Focus on instrumental conducting, wind ensemble; education certification
- B.A. cum laude in Music (University of Rochester, 1996)
- Music composition, conducting
Recent Speaking Engagements
- VSTE — Virginia Beach, Virginia
- I will be speaking about the logic model developed by my colleagues and I for deploying 1:1 technology as a district initiative and also about Google Apps for Education (GAFE) to support twenty-first century learning.
- December 7-9, 2014
- VASCD Conference — Williamsburg, Virginia
- Presentation with Goochland Assistant Superintendent Stephen Geyer on our instructional focus with 1:1 technology. We reveal that the true rationale for going "1:1" is a constructivist-based pedagogy, where students are at the center of classroom activities, constructing knowledge.
- November 28, 2014
- VSBA Annual Convention — Williamsburg, Virginia
- Presentation with Goochland Superintendent James F. Lane on how we have used our strategic plan focused on twenty-first century learning to design innovative instruction and assessment with 1:1 iPads.
- November 20, 2014
- VCU Leadership Sympoisum
- Focus on Innovation in High Priority Schools - Increasing Student Outcomes. Speaking on the 1:1 initiative in Goochland County with elementary principal Tina McCay.
- June 25, 2014
- Virginia School Board Association Region 1 Annual Meeting
- Board members across the region attended a dinner where I delivered an address about twenty-first century learning with my colleague Dr. Stephen Geyer
- April, 2014
- Metropolitan Educational Research Consortium (MERC) — Richmond, Virginia
- Co-presenter at plenary session with research colleagues D. Deloatch, A. Kim, and S. Tolliver on Ubiquitous Computing
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- March, 2014
- Virginia ASCD — Williamsburg, Virginia
- Presentation on G21 Instructional Framework with my colleague Dr. Peter Gretz
- December, 2013
- Virginia Society for Technology in Education — Roanoke, Virginia
- Presentation on Google Apps for Education in Schools
- December, 2013
- Collegiate School — Richmond, Virginia
- Collegiate School Parents Group
- Talk on Online Teen Habits
- October, 2012
- Scratch Workshop Trainer
- Manchester Middle School, Chesterfield, VA
- Trainer for Longwood University project using Scratch softare from MIT
- July 16-20, 2012
- EdTech Conference - Mary Washington University
- Keynote Speaker - “Product-Centered Pedagogy”
- Fredericksburg, VA
- June, 2012
- EdTech Conference - Virginia State University — Petersburg, Virginia
- 5 concurrent presentations
- March 14-15, 2012
- Metropolitan Educational Reserach Consortium (MERC) — Richmond, Virginia
- Keynote Speaker - “Project-Based Learning and G21”
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- March, 2012
I have a limited amount of time each year to devote to speaking and consulting. Please contact me if you’re interested. I’m open to topics relating to constructivist education, social media, Scratch, iPad 1:1, and program evaluation.