Among my most cultivated skills include listening, thinking, cooking, and writing.
- Goochland County Public Schools (1999-2020)
- Technology Teacher (1999-2001) – Goochland High School
- Technology Lead Teacher/Supervisor of Instructional Technology/Webmaster (2001-2014)
- Director of Innovation & Strategy (2014-2020)
- Virginia Department of Education (2020-present)
- Coordinator of Organizational Development & Advancement (2020-2021)
- Project Manager for Professional Learning & Organizational Development (2021-present)
As a researcher, I have evaluated educational programs and have led an action research project focused on looking at the relationship between a technology coach and the teacher toward co-designing deeper learning experiences for students. My research during my doctoral journey involved over 40-interviews as part of a four-person research team examining best practices with 1:1 computing programs in schools.
A lot of my day-to-day work as a leader and instructional technologist is captured in a number of Apple Books showcasing our schools’ 1:1 program. These include Deeper Learning by Design as author and designer, and Goochland Elementary, Goochland Middle, and Goochland High as editor and consulting writer.
Almost everything I do involves one of my core values, which my colleagues recently (2019) identified as one of my strengths: creativity. In my role as an educator, trainer, and leader, I have used my skills and creativity to design marketing campaigns, create professional-quality video, deliver engaging, and to create and deliver inspirational presentations.
From 1999-summer 2020, I have worked for the Goochland County Public Schools in Virginia as a teacher, lead teacher, supervisor of instructional technology, and most recently, as Director of Innovation & Strategy. In this role I have led our schools’ library-media program, instructional technology, strategic planning, and have almost twenty years of experience in web and graphic design work. This includes creating content for social media and managing the division website and each of our school webmasters. In Goochland, I led our principals and technology team to be named Apple Distinguished Schools for three different terms.
At the Virginia Department of Education, I have worked in the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction to support the office in addition to managing the agency’s strategic plan. In this role I served on the agency’s Cabinet, Executive Cabinet, and Leadership Teams.
Starting in December 2021, I began to transition under the Department of Learning and Innovation, Office of Humanities to lead the agency’s efforts with professional learning for constituents in the field, including Virginia’s 100K+ preK-12 teachers. This work involves transitioning all professional learning with the state’s learning management system, Canvas.
As of February, 2020, I serve in the following capacity:
- Virginia Commonwealth University – School of Education Advisory
- Serve to guide the SOE on their graduate programs in education
- Safe Harbor – Richmond, Virginia
- Safe Harbor is a non-profit organization serving the needs in emergency care for women in the metro-Richmond region; I serve on the Program and Evaluation committee for guiding the organization’s use of data